From: Paul Cassell <pmcassel@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:02:08
1 I was under the impression that disk arrays still have failable parts.
2 Of course, I guess anything does and it depends on your requirements,
3 but isnt tape a whole lot more safe to use than disk arrays for backup?
4
5 Also, this is slightly off topic, but I figured it's a good time to ask.
6 How do ya'll manage your storage? Do you use NAS', SANs', or direct
7 attached storage? And how do you manage scalability. Say your IT
8 deparment's shared folder is getting huge and you have to add more disk
9 space. Instead of getting a larger storage array, are you using
10 something like an LVM to dynamically add on space? How does this work
11 specifically? Im under the impression some NAS appliances make this
12 easy. If a NAS appliance does samba or nfs, how do you actually "add"
13 on the space to your existing filesystem? Im a little confused as I
14 have never seen something like this in use. Thanks for helping out the
15 curious.
16
17 -Paul Cassell
20 -----Original Message-----
21 From: Robert Sanders [mailto:rob-lists@××××××××.com]
22 Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 2:55 PM
23 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
24 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software