From: Eduardo Schoedler <listas@××××××××.br>
To: "gentoo-server@l.g.o" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Toughts on Virtualization
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 02:19:03
1 Em 08/04/2012, às 15:26, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> escreveu:
2 > I've deployed more than 20 Gentoo servers over VMware and XenServer, no performance issues.
3 >
4 > From the top of my head, Some pointers when doing menuconfig:
5 >
6 > * Go "tickless"
7 > * Activate the relevant paravirtualization code; choose the hypervisor-friendly suspend instead of spinlock
8 > * Use the paravirtualized storage driver (Vmware PV-SCSI or Xen Block FrontEnd)
9 > * If using hardened, first configure for "virtualization", exit (and save), menuconfig again, and check the options under GrSec and PaX; there are options that will cause performance penalty when run on top of a hypervisor (see the help text)
10 > * Do not compile *any* unnecessary drivers (e.g., wireless support, exotic devices)
11 > * Use I/O without delay
12 >
13 > And, deployment-wise :
14 >
15 > * When possible, do not create more than one partition per virtual drive; instead, create 1 virtual drive per filesystem mountpoint. E.g. :
16 >
17 > Instead of having /dev/sda{1,2,3,4} for /boot, /, /usr, and /home, respectively, create 4 virtual drives instead. The above mointpoints will then respectively map to /dev/sd{a,b,c,d}1
18 >
19 > (The reason for the latter is because partitions get handled by the VM (slower), while accesses to virtual hard disks are handled by the hypervisor (faster)).
20 >
21 > I don't have access to my Gentoo systems ATM, so I can't provide a more detailed guide.
22 >
23 Pandu,
24
25 Please provide more information if you can, like kernel config for XenServer guest. I always have problem to do that with Gentoo and I'm using CentOS because of that.
26
27 Thanks in advance.
28
29 Regard,