From: Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ECC support in SSH
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:24:57
1 On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Tomek Lutelmowski wrote:
2
3 > After looking at the ssh documentation I couldn't find support for ECC
4 > (Elliptic Curve Cryptography). Doing a web-based search also showed no
5 > modules that can be incorporated into ssh. Are there any current versions of
6 > ssh, or projects involving ECC for SSH? ECC not only offers more crypto
7 > strength in a smaller key length than RSA, but is regarded as being faster
8 > and requiring less processing power. The added bonus is that ECC technology
9 > is available free of charge, so could it be possible there are no
10 > implementation or patches for OpenSSH?
13 For what's it worth I usually have my big scp copies use blowfish
14 as the default cipher. It tends to be faster especially on busy systems.
15
16 The reason you don't see much with ECC is the idea is relatively new,
17 1985, in cryptography, while most OpenSSH support ciphers are the much
18 older and better understood block ciphers.
19
20 ECC is also not free unless I'm misreading something.
21 http://www.certicom.com/index.php?action=ip,overview
22
23 kashani