From: davin@××××××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] For a 1.5TB server running Samba and NFS ONLY,what's the best kernel?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:21:04
1 Reiserfs3 is great for large volume of small files but why aren't you
2 checking out ReiserFS4? XFS and RFS4 run very close in performance.
3 Really depends on whether this is a production or evaluation environment.
4 I'm running RFS4 myself and found it particularly fast and stable. Also
5 we have a high number of files with probably 200Gb of file under 4Kb
6 and then another 300GB of files around the 6 - 10Mb mark. Performance with
7 RFS4 is improved and recovery definitely quicker
8
9 Davin "BigD" George
10
11 ----- Original Message -----
12 From: Wes Kurdziolek <xunil@×××××××××.com>
13 Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:46:50 -0400
14 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
15 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] For a 1.5TB server running Samba and NFS ONLY,what's the best kernel?
16
17 > I've seen some benchmarking that suggests XFS is excellent wrt large
18 > files. Reiserfs3 really shines when it comes to lots of little files in
19 > lots of directories, but it can hold its own w/ lots of big files.
20 >
21 > David Wuertele wrote:
22 > > I'm rebuilding my terabyte file server from scratch. Previously I
23 > > used "emerge gs-sources" to get my kernel, but I'm considering using
24 > > the performance-tuned "emerge gentoo-sources" this time.
25 > >
26 > > I want maximum performance and reliability in these areas:
27 > >
28 > > on-board Via IDE controller
29 > > multiple SIIG ATA-133 PCI IDE controllers
30 > > 7-drive RAID5 array
31 > > 1.5TB Reiserfs partition
32 > > Average file size about 50MB, largest files will commonly exceed 2GB
33 > > Samba file sharing
34 > > NFS file sharing
35 > >
36 > > All other areas are of little or no consequence.
37 > > Any recommendations?
38 > >
39 > > Thanks,
40 > > Dave