From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] FAQ software
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:39:23
1 On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:20:58PM -0400, Chris Riley wrote:
2 > Have you considered using a wiki? I use TWiki myself, but there are
3 > many others.
4
5 I second this; I've tried a lot of FAQ modules and scripts only to find none
6 of them suited my needs. Actually, Wiki's don't follow them either, but get
7 closer to them.
8
9 I use MediaWiki on a couple of sites to check if it is a viable option for
10 both general site administration and FAQs. The main issue with Wiki's for a
11 FAQ is that the manuals themselves aren't grouped together automatically, so
12 you need to link each of them from an index page (or category page) so
13 people can browse to them.
14
15 I wouldn't rely on the search functionality of wiki's, they work, but aren't
16 meant for FAQ searching imo.
17
18 Wkr,
19 Sven Vermeulen
20
21 PS If anyone knows of a good knowledge base manager with wiki-like editing
22 features, drop me a note :)
25 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
26
27 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>