From: "Rev. Jeffrey Paul" <sneak@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:06:45
1 I too would have to cast my vote for option #2, a seperate,
2 less-frequently-updated portage tree for servers and such.
3
4 I originally switched to gentoo because of the ease of administration and
5 updates. It saved me time when I had to go and update a package on 30
6 different servers that i'm responsible for. That same ease, now, with all
7 the ebuild updates and such, is what's _taking_ most of the time.
8
9 Far too often do I do "emerge sync ; emerge -u world" and find that
10 something's broken in some weird new way, only to find the answer in
11 seconds in the biggest thread-of-the-moment on gentoo-user. From a
12 production standpoint, that's bad on so many different levels.
13
14 -j
18 Rev. Jeffrey Paul -datavibe- sneak@××××××××.net
19 aim:x736e65616b pgp:0x15FA257E phone:8777483467
20 70E0 B896 D5F3 8BF4 4BEE 2CCF EF2F BA28 15FA 257E