From: David Wuertele <dave-gnus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 .config for RAID5, help?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:03:11
1 Chris> I have attached a 2.6.8-r4 config (cause that's the latest
2 Chris> gentoo-dev-sources available) that I made specifically for your
3 Chris> system, based on the info you have given.
4
5 Thanks! I will try it today. I noticed right away that there were
6 some differences:
7
8 - You skipped APIC, and PNP (probably not significant...)
9 - You enabled APM (probably not significant...)
10 - You set Block Dev RAM Size to 8192 (is this significant?)
11 - You set CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="640x480@60" (this is probably
12 significant)
13 - You enabled a logo and FB splash (also probably significant)
14 - You enabled devfs (but not mount on boot. Hmm...)
15 - You enabled profiling
16
17 Chris> You will need to make sure you build the driver for the
18 Chris> ide-controller statically into your kernel (I have included via
19 Chris> ide).
20
21 The IDE section of the .config you made for me is identical to the one
22 I am already using. What is the CONFIG_ for the ide-controller?
23
24 Chris> Also, some advice - I notice your raid array consists of drives
25 Chris> hdc/d/e/f/g This means you must be using master slave
26 Chris> combinations for IDE drives - this will kill your performance,
27 Chris> even with raid5 (infact could make is SLOWER than if you just
28 Chris> had 2 drives in raid1!)
29
30 Yowza: seven IDE drives means seven IDE busses! I only have three PCI
31 slots, and they would all be full of IDE controllers. Since PCI cards
32 share interrupts, will interrupt latency then become a bottleneck?
33
34 Thanks very much for the detailed advice!
35
36 Dave