From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server goes down twice in two days, looking for input
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:51:09
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:34:06AM -0400, fire-eyes wrote:
3 >
4 >>I have had our gentoo server go down twice in under two days. I am
5 >>currently trying to figure out what is happening.
8 > What did you do before this behavior started? Any kernel upgrades? You might
9 > want to consider downgrading and checking if that fixes the problem.
10 >
11 > Try running any system monitoring processes in the future that monitor,
12 > amongst other things, CPU usage and I/O. It might help locating the source
13 > of the problems.
14
15 There was a kernel upgrade but that was over three months ago. I have
16 tried to replicate the situation (it went down both times when I was
17 creating a tar.bz2) without luck.
18
19 I'm thinking of installing an snmpd and then perhaps cacti or similar on
20 another system to poll and keep histories of various data. That's a
21 good idea.
22 --
23 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list