From: Jared Klett <jklett@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Areca SATA RAID cards and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:28:52
1 hello list,
2
3 the time has come for me to put together some new Gentoo servers, and
4 I was wondering:
5
6 1. Has anyone gotten a chance to test out an Areca SATA RAID card under
7 Gentoo?
8 2. If so, where did you buy it? I can't seem to locate any distributors
9 in the US.
10 - I located one in the UK, but $121 for shipping is a bit much
11 3. Is there a marked performance improvement over 3ware or Megaraid
12 controllers?
13 - I did read the reviews on Tom's Hardware and Tweakers.net - I'd like
14 real, end-user feedback
15 4. Are you doing RAID-5 or RAID-6 on the Areca?
16
17 kind of a long shot, but I'm curious to hear anything before I start
18 placing orders for more 3ware cards. which are great, but I'm always
19 looking to squeeze more performance and space out of my hardware. :)
20
21 RAID-6 would be very cool. it pains me a little to lose space in favor
22 of fault tolerance with RAID-10.
23
24 reviews and distributors:
25
26 http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/557/29
27 http://www.areca.com.tw/products/html/pcix-sata.htm
28 http://www.webconnexxion.com/raid/product_info.php?
29 products_id=231{1}3{5}19{2}6
30
31 cheers,
32
33 - Jared
37 Here's your problem. Someone set this thing to 'evil'.
40 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list