From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Going back to devfs
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:15:44
1 Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 April 2005 21:55, Christian Parpart wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Wednesday 06 April 2005 11:42 pm, Karl Zander wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>I was going to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, but then found out I really
7 >>>should stay with a 2.4 kenel. (The 2.6.x Win4Lin sources I need are hard
8 >>>masked in portage.) I had already emerged udev before I checked this.
9 >>>My bad for not checking. But can I go back to devfs? How? Do I need
10 >>>to?
11 >>
12 >>Um, yeah, you can. Of course. But why do you want to?
13 >>(see /etc/conf.d/rc at RC_DEVICES="devfs" / ="udev")
16 > udev is less tested and doesn't work "out of the box"
19 >>What do you need, you believe devfs can, but udev can't?
22 > Automatic module loading, for one. Devfs will load the modules needed when you
23 > try to access a device (eg /dev/cdroms/*). With udev, you need to load
24 > modules to use them. While cold/hotplug will detect and load many modules, it
25 > also lacks detection for many common devices (such as IDE CDROM drives).
26 > And, no, I don't consider modules.autoload (or whatever file it is) to be a
27 > solution. More of a bad hack to workaround bad detection. Thus, I don't
28 > intend to have any of my systems make use of it.
29
30 Greg Kroah-Hartman addresses this complaint in the FAQ:
31
32 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
33
34 and frankly I think it makes sense. He states that udev is intended to
35 manage device nodes and nothing else and that "all devices present on
36 the system should generate hotplug events, loading the appropriate
37 driver". That seems fair enough to me; let it do one job and do it well.
38
39 His assertion about the problematic nature of the "devfs approach" is
40 quite right. I've had my fair share of nasty "append to parent" errors
41 and other wierdness with devfs, particularly in 2.6. I also heard from a
42 developer who had some serious issues when trying to perform various
43 LVM2 related options ... until he moved to udev. And udev has some
44 tricks up its sleeve too (a simple way of having a consistent naming
45 policy for devices, for one).
46
47 Regardless of the relative merits, the maintainer has gone AWOL and
48 devfs is on the way out. I would much rather use udev in 2.6, although
49 devfs is more functional in 2.4.
50
51 Regards,
52