From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] 1000Mbps NIC Getting 100Mbps speeds
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:53:25
1 > The light on the NIC shows 1000Mbps link, as does the switch it is
2 > connected to. Kernel messages show the link as autonegotiated, and
3 > 1000Mbps.
4 >
5 > The only odd one out is mii-tool which claims "eth0: negotiated
6 > 100baseTx-FD, link ok"
7 >
8 > I also tried using ethtool to set it at 1000Mbps anyway via ethtool -s
9 > eth0 speed 1000 , and the kernel again spits out messages about a
10 > 1000Mbps link being up just fine. mii-tool still says the same as above,
11 > however.
12 >
13 > The problem is that I get speeds just as if it were a 100Mbps link,
14 > starting at about 9MB/s then dropping to about 8.
15 >
16 You get that when the other end is using a 100mb card or the traffic
17 is actually going through your 100mb card.
21 Eduardo Tongson
22 <pornadmin.net/~tongson>
25 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list