From: RagNoRoc <ragnoroc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] switch NIS to LDAP
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:04:47
1 Let me get some background out there first. The environment I am going to be
2 talking about has a few hundred windows machines, a handful of windows2003
3 servers, a few dozen quad processor solaris servers and an unmeasurable
4 amount of Linux boxes running Gentoo and RedHat. The environment has over
5 3,000 active accounts and at any given time there are at least 100 people
6 logged in.
7
8 Currently you must have 2 logins, one for windows and one for unix. We are
9 using Active Directory on a domain controller machine to do the windows
10 logins and we have NIS for all the UNIX machines. We are putting a plan
11 together to use a LDAP server to make a unified login for the operating
12 systems involved.
13
14 I have a gentoo box setup which I plan to install LDAP on, then import all
15 the NIS information in and test cross platform logins with. Has anyone
16 worked with NIS to LDAP conversions or have experience with getting
17 non-linux operating systems to use LDAP (instead of a windows domain
18 controller for example)?
19
20 Also any comments on which LDAP we should try out? We were thinking of the
21 Netscape one that RedHat has but nothing has been set in stone yet.
22
23 Thanks for any help.
24
25 Kirk