From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: upgrading to gcc 3.4.4 on production server
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:41:17
1 Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Yeah, this is truth. I've tried to install only security updates for
4 > about a year, and after ~8 month I found it impossible to continue
5 > installing security updates without updating some packages I don't wanna
6 > update at that time... and some time later - without toolchain upgrade
7 > and complete system recompilation as result.
8
9 > So, I think not using ~arch and (in critical cases) freezing versions
10 > of some important packages (like MySQL) PLUS continuously updates is best
11 > way to ensure server security and stability.
12
13 Disappearing packages, especially ones being used in production, have really
14 bitten me in the ass. Kernels and dropped versions of vmware-workstation
15 come to mind...
16
17 I get around this problem by patching in a "--nodelete" option for emerge.
18 It is a very simple hack, all it does is _not_ add the --delete --force
19 --delete-after arguments to rsync if I run emerge --sync --nodelete.
20
21 Attached is a patch for emerge and emergehelp.py (portage-2.0.54) that adds
22 this option, if anyone is interested.
23
24 To apply:
25 # cd /usr/lib/portage/bin
26 # patch -bp0 </wherever/emerge-nodelete.patch
27 # cd /usr/lib/portage/pym
28 # patch -bp0 </wherever/emergehelp-nodelete.patch
29
30 The second patch just adds a description of the argument to emerge --help...

emerge-nodelete.patch text/x-diff
emergehelp-nodelete.patch text/x-diff