From: Dimitri Collard <dimitri.collard@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] For a 1.5TB server running Samba and NFS ONLY, what's the best kernel?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:28:05
1 I use gentoo-dev-sources instead of gentoo-sources because kernel 2.6 is
2 faster then 2.4
3
4 Samba and nfs work realy fine with gentoo-dev-sourses
9 Le ven 17/09/2004 à 20:48, David Wuertele a écrit :
10
11 > I'm rebuilding my terabyte file server from scratch. Previously I
12 > used "emerge gs-sources" to get my kernel, but I'm considering using
13 > the performance-tuned "emerge gentoo-sources" this time.
14 >
15 > I want maximum performance and reliability in these areas:
16 >
17 > on-board Via IDE controller
18 > multiple SIIG ATA-133 PCI IDE controllers
19 > 7-drive RAID5 array
20 > 1.5TB Reiserfs partition
21 > Average file size about 50MB, largest files will commonly exceed 2GB
22 > Samba file sharing
23 > NFS file sharing
24 >
25 > All other areas are of little or no consequence.
26 > Any recommendations?
27 >
28 > Thanks,
29 > Dave