From: Andrea Ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] strange bogomips difference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:38:57
1 Sorry. I don't have any detailed hints, only generic ones.
2
3 If your problem isn't RAM or temperature related (like visely Andrew Gaffney
4 suggested), you could:
5
6 0. If you didn't do that already, open a bugreport on the Gentoo site.
7 1. check if there are news bioses version for you MB that fix some problem
8 that could be related to your one.
9 2. try to install only packages with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86", if you really
10 really don't need something that is ~x86
11 (maybe if they are not there and if you don't have a good reason for
12 that, downgrade your critical packages to x86 state:
13 glibc, gcc, binutils)
14 3. try to compile and install also the gs-sources kernel, that should be the
15 one more stable and effective for servers
16 (it is at 2.4.23_pre8)
17 4. If you don't have portability problem of your binaries on other machines,
18 you could set these FLAGS in make.conf:
19
20 CFLAGS="-march=athlon-mp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
21 CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-mp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
22
23 and maybe with -O2, that doesn't lose almost anything in optimization,
24 but mybe don't trigger your error.
25
26 If your system doesn't work any more after 2. (downgrading your critical
27 packages,
28 compiling them on a system that maybe is not very reliable), it's not my
29 fault ;-)
30
31 Andrea