From: "Michael Stewart (vericgar)" <vericgar@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 04:15:01
1 MIkey wrote:
2
3 > A server profile should be as basic as possible. Choices like which apache
4 > version, which version of php, which mta, etc... should be left up to the
5 > person building the server, as opposed to what some particular gentoo
6 > developers favorite version of X is.
7 >
8 > I would also like, some day, to be able to use catalyst to build server
9 > install images without having to hack profiles. It seems to me the proper
10 > place to use the apache2 flag would be either in make.conf or
11 > package.use... Just a thought.
14 My point was missed. The USE-flag does not select which version of
15 apache to build. It tells the add-on modules (such as mod_php, mod_perl,
16 etc) which version of apache to build against. If apache2 is on, then it
17 depends on and builds against apache-2.0. If apache2 is off, then it
18 depends on and builds against apache-1.3. (Mind you mod_php is a bad
19 example as it's build environment is more complex but my point is the
20 same). Leaving apache2 off while having a stable apache-2.0 in the tree
21 will and does lead to confusion, because when an add-on module is
22 installed with the apache2 USE-flag disabled, apache-1.3 will be
23 installed - not usually what the user wants. It's not the developers
24 choosing which line of apache is default, it's a portage thing - portage
25 always prefers the highest version of a package. Thus the apache2 USE
26 flag needs to stay enabled. If we choose to remove apache2 from the
27 default USE-flags, then the profile needs to mask >=apache-2.0 as well.
31 Michael Stewart vericgar@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://dev.gentoo.org/~vericgar
33
34 GnuPG Key ID 0x08614788 available on http://pgp.mit.edu