From: Nicholas George <ncg2558@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:19:56
1 I know this doesn't quite fit into your two options...but it's really
2 just a slightly different way of handling the second. Maybe adding a
3 third keyword in addition to world and system would be helpful. For
4 example, running "emerge security" would give you security updates for
5 your current packages. This would give everyone, not only those who
6 choose to use a seperate portage tree, the option of sticking to a
7 particular version of an app or apps while still keeping them up to date
8 with any security flaws.
9 This, combined with a seperate, more stable, portage tree could benefit
10 both server and desktop users.
11
12 Nicholas George
13
14 Kurt Lieber wrote:
15 > All --
16 >
17 > I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come up
18 > recently.
19 >
20 > There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
21 > we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
22 > the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
23 > dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
24 >
25 > If you were given the choice between:
26 >
27 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
28 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
29 > * only updated quarterly
30 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
31 > tree
32 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
33 >
34 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
35 >
36 > --kurt