From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:21:49
1 Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > kashani wrote:
3 >> Ramon van Alteren wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> did NTPL help you guys?
6 >>>>
7 >>>
8 >>> Strangely it actually hurt our mysql-performance. Although mysql AB
9 >>> recommends it. Haven't done any recent testing however.
10 >>
11 >> That's really odd. I've never seen Mysql do anything, but get much
12 >> much faster with NTPL at least with our work loads. Web servers,
13 >> mostly selects, PHP, 600-1000 connections to each of the db server.
14 >> Load went from 1.5 to .3 on our dual proc boxes when we moved from
15 >> 2.4 to 2.6 w/NTPL. I suspect it's the number of connections we have
16 >> that caused most of the benefit in our case.
17 >
18 > Let's start with "which version ?"
19 >
20 > I'd have to look through all testing docs for the period but I
21 > remember that we tested NTPL with 4.0 and found it hurt our performance.
22 NTPL was un-supported by MySQL on 4.0, see [1], and support started not
23 much more than one year ago (prior patching the sources was needed)
24 >
25 > Similar work-load: webservers, reading from slaves, writing only to
26 > the replication-master, PHP
27 > Maybe different sizing? We have a very large database spanning well
28 > over 35Gb now, with some extremely large tables in it. Most dbservers
29 > are IO-bound not CPU-bound.
30 then switching thread implementation model would make no difference ;-)
31
32 [1] http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=19785
35 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list