From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] GSP installation server + portage network
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:11:25
1 Frido Ferdinand wrote:
2 > I intentionally left configuration management out of this because my
3 > ideas on the above topics are more refined. To start with the second
4 > point, my basic theory is that: Package Management should be left to
5 > Portage. This sounds logical on 1 computer, but what if you have a
6 > network ? Should portage be made network aware ? I think so. Package
7 > management on a network should be as easy as:
8 >
9 > emerge --target="host.domain.tld" emerge apache
13 I think we want to stay away from a push based update system, they are
14 prone to breaking and require more management overhead than pull based
15 systems. I have personally experienced a push based system gone wrong.
16 Our windows desktops are managed by pushed packages for software and
17 security patches, but many failed to receive the patch for the recent
18 RPC buffer overflow. Additionally my current infrastructure for a
19 distributed gentoo system is push -- and it is a pain in the ass. The
20 i.org paper lists all of the reasons why pull works better...
21
22 But you are right. We desperately need a kickstart system.
23
24 jbw