From: Jonathan Fors <etnoy@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:39:18
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
4 >we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
5 >the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
6 >dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
9 I agree. I have a few production servers running 24/7 here, and to
10 automatically update with emerge sync and emerge -uD world every night
11 is not the best idea.
12
13 >2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
14 > * only updated quarterly
15 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
16 > tree
19 Really important. I'd opt for this since I long have been expecting this
20 kind of improvement. It saves a great deal of manual updating = less work :)
21 Keep a separate environment for us who need security and stability more
22 than features, I think that some kind of new ACCEPT_KEYWORDS feature
23 would make the portage tree a lot more complicated, both for dev's and
24 users.
25
26 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
29 That is not as critical to _me_ than it can be for folks in critical
30 enterprise environments, but of course, they do most certainly need it.
31 I am not to decide whether this should be added to portage or not.
32
33 etnoY