From: Nigel Marsh <nigel.marsh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:57:48
1 I recently came accross Box Backup and am very happy with it.
2
3 http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/
4
5 On Wednesday 20 Oct 2004 17:48, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
6 > Hi there,
7 >
8 > I sent this to the gentoo-user list without much success, I hope in
9 > the server list there are more people doing backups... you know what
10 > they say: "there are only two kind of people: those doing backups and
11 > those that never lost any data". I hope I become one of the third kind,
12 > those that never lost any data but are doing backups :o)
13 >
14 > I'm searching for some backup software with the following requirements:
15 >
16 > * Capability to scale from a single machine to backups of full
17 > networks, including heterogeneous OS (Linux, Windows,...)
18 > * Capability to do full or incremental backups
19 > * Network friendly (don't wanna have my network down because the
20 > backup traffic ate all the bandwidth)
21 > * Possibility of using different backup media (tape, CD, DVD, HD,...)
22 > * Ease of maintenance and recovery, preferably with unattended
23 > operation (don't wanna be hanging around changing tapes)
24 > * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
25 > web/mail/database server to do the backup)
26 > * Ready to go (so please, don't tell me to use tar / cpio / mt)
27 > * Of course open source
28 >
29 > After a preliminary search, I've found Amanda, Mondo Rescue and
30 > Bacula, all of them in portage. I would like to hear experiences, and
31 > thoughts about this.
32 >
33 > Thanks in advance, best regards
34 > Jose
37 Immutability, Three Rules of:
38 (1) If a tarpaulin can flap, it will.
39 (2) If a small boy can get dirty, he will.
40 (3) If a teenager can go out, he will.