From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:43:13
1 Hi,
2
3 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
4
5 > Hello. I googled around with no luck. I wish there could be some very
6 > easy explanation of cipher strengths so that I could answer questions
7 > like 'how strong 3DES is' to novice users. Most results I could find are
8 > too technical / mathematical. I want very simple explanation like this:
9 >
10 > 128 bit IDEA is very strong cipher. Normally, take a piece of encrypted
11 > data, it would need one Pentium Xeon 2GHz personal computer xxxx years
12 > to decrypt the data, this is as long as the age of the earth (or human,
13 > or USA, whatever). Even if you could use the most powerful computer now
14 > one the earth abcde (replace abcde with the computation power), you need
15 > xxx (a number) of them to decrypt it in 5 years.
18 Take a look at distributed.net site.
19 They host competitions in key-breaking using a distributed client.
20
21 Among one of them is the des3 standard. That might give you the
22 indication you're looking for ?
23 And maybe some more pointers on where to look for this kind of info.
24
25 <Quote from their website>
26 On December 12, 1998 RSA officially announced that they would sponsor
27 the DES-III contest, which would start January 18, 1999 at 9am PST. To
28 meet this challenge, distributed.net again planned on using the idle
29 processing time of computers all over the world to test the at most 256
30 keys to determine the correct one.
33 Additionally, RSA placed strict time limits on the challenge.
34
35 up to 24 hours to win $10,000
36 up to 48 hours to win $5,000
37 up to 56 hours to win $1,000
38 more than 56 hours - nothing
39
40 Accomplishing this great computational task required thousands of
41 people around the Internet to help out by running a special client
42 program on their computers, allowing it to connect to one of our
43 coordinating servers. When the client program ran, computers were
44 assigned a block of work to test and determine if a solution was found.
45 With this system, the more computers we had working together, the faster
46 the combined effort would be. Any machine with a reliable connection to
47 the Internet was usable for our purposes.
50 To make things even more interesting, distributed.net worked to allow
51 the EFF hardware Deep Crack to participate cooperatively within the
52 distributed.net effort. This enabled it to join its computational power
53 with the thousands of deployed distributed.net clients that were
54 participating via the Internet. Despite the immense power of the EFF
55 Deep Crack, distributed.net's thousands of deployed clients still
56 surpassed the EFF hardware by more than a factor of 2 in speed.
59 As it turned out, distributed.net was entirely successful in this
60 endeavor, and DES-III ended with success on January 19, 1999 at 7am PST,
61 yielding a solution in less than 24 hours!
62 </Quote>
63
64 Grtz,
65