From: Sri Gupta <oopsz@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:42:56
1 On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:24:58AM +0000, Martin Hajduch wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > >I don't get it. Does this mean, if I use IDEA over SSL to secure my
5 > >website which provide application services to end users, I must pay
6 > >for pattent? Or only mean if I wish to develop and *release* my
7 > >application using IDEA? In first case, I am myself an end user / web
8 > >content producer of IDEA, in the latter case, I am the software
9 > >vendor, not end user. Do I have to pay IDEA patent as end user?
10 >
11 > if you are end user, or you run your own website, you don't need to be
12 > concerned
13 > only if you would like to develop a new web server (for example) and use
14 > IDEA algorithm,
15 > it either has to be for non commercial purposes only, or you have to pay
16 >
17 > >>IDEA is faster (current implementation of IDEA are approx twice as
18 > >>fast as DES implementations)
19 > >
20 > >Do you mean IDEA is approx twice as fast as 3DES in case of SSL?
21 >
22 > unless you have some special hardware for these algorithms (which
23 > 'standard' PCs do not have),
24 > then yes IDEA is approx twice as fast then 3DES (in any case, including SSL)
25
26 This is what AES (Rijndael) is for. IDEA is patented and proprietary. AES is
27 just as fast, supports keylength up to 256 bit, and is wide open for
28 implementation because of its selection as the AES standard. It's also
29 supported as an SSL cipher.
30
31 -Sri