From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] vmstat cs and in
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:40:48
1 Hi Jeroen,
2 on Saturday, 2006-10-14 at 12:19:59, you wrote:
3 > >2) How high can these numbers be before a system admin should start
4 > >to worry about preformance?
5 > >
6 > Erm... they don't have much to do with performance, they just happen;
7 > if they didn't, you wouldn't have a working system... Just FYI: the
8 > 2.6 kernel uses a 1000Hz timer for the process scheduler, so expect to
9 > see at least 1000 interrupts per second no matter what else your
10 > system is doing.
11
12 Butting in quite late, but...
13 Remember that conversation we had in April?
14 (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.server/3907)
15 I was having terrible performance problems on my SMP box and solved them
16 by recompiling the kernel with 100 Hz ticks. 250 or 1000 Hz are fine if
17 you need low latency at the cost of throughput, like for audio
18 applications (250 even for general single-CPU desktops) but in some
19 configurations they can be deadly.
20 So there's no reason to be overly concerned with interrupts and context
21 switches if you're not having any performance problems but it can be worth
22 looking into if you do.
23
24 cheers!
25 Matthias
26 --
27 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
28 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665