From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] excute remote emerge
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:57:34
1 rdmurray@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 at 11:48, Francisco Olarte Sanz wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 23:12, Ben Munat wrote:
4 >>> Well, I think the response is overwhelmingly clear: screen!
5 >>> I just wanted to add my 2 cents that I absolutely love screen... it has
6 >>> saved my ass countless times. The only problem is remembering to run it
7 >>> on login before starting the emerge. I suppose I really should look into
8 >>> getting bash to run it for me automatically. Anyone got a script for
9 >>> that?
10 >>
11 >> I don't normally use screen for login, but as none of my servers
12 >> allow
13 >> root-sshing directly what I'm used to to is ssh normaluser@server,
14 >> su -c 'screen -DAR', emerge, instead of plain su.
15 >
16 > This is probably more info than most people want to hear, but some other
17 > sysadmin may find it useful, so what the heck.
18 >
19 > I work on around two dozen servers that are mixture of unix OSes, and
20 > I'm only primary sysadmin on some of them. What I do is set myself
21 > up a minimum consistent environment on each machine using a little
22 > rsync script. That environment includes my laptop's ssh key and some
23 > "helper" scripts. On my laptop, from which I do all my work, I run the
24 > 'ratpoison' window manager, which is to X what screen is to the console.
25 > Then I use ratpoison's 'run a command in a window' function to run a
26 > script to connect to whatever machine it is I need to work on. (eg:
27 > 'workon mail' to get to the mail server I manage.) That script looks up
28 > the hostname and screen name associated with the nickname 'mail', sshes to
29 > the host, and runs the helper script ('workonscreen') on the target host.
30 > That script saves the ssh environment vars (so I can source them inside
31 > screen to get access to my ssh-agent connection), does a screen -wipe
32 > in case the server crashed since my last connect, and then connects to
33 > a named screen session. I use named sessions so I can have more than
34 > one screen "workspace" on a given host and get back to them by name.
35 >
36 > This makes for a very efficient work environment. The ratpoison windows
37 > essentially become workspaces, where the screen in a given window manages
38 > the windows of my workspace. The ratpoison and screen keystroke commands
39 > are (by design) very parallel, so the muscle memory is quite strong and
40 > getting to exactly the window I need happens almost as fast as I can
41 > think it (I'm a fast typist, and I use named windows and use the names
42 > for window switching). I can also use the screenrc file to set up a
43 > default workspace with various windows and running programs, though I
44 > haven't done that much on the hosts yet (I use that feature extensively
45 > on the laptop, though).
46 >
47 > Oh, yeah, and I never log in as root. I always use sudo to run root
48 > commands :) But there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing but run
49 > the screen as root. Personally I always have only one window visible at
50 > a time, but I imagine this technique would work quite well even if you
51 > do like having your window split into multiple pieces. (I do do that
52 > sometimes to, say, have an IRC window up and visible while I'm working
53 > in the other pane.)
54 >
55 > I can never figure out what all this fuss is about desktops. I've never
56 > found the desktop metaphor to be particularly efficient...
57 >
58 > --David
61 Very nice... will put this aside to try out when I have some time...
62 really like the idea of named windows which just know what machine to go
63 to...
64
65 And as far as root login goes... yeah, I know... I know... I tried to
66 push my brother into letting me turn off root login, but he just
67 insisted and he pays for the server so... I suppose I could still always
68 login as my user and then su -- and be happy that I'm being "correct" --
69 but knowing it's there and being lazy.... etc.
70
71 b
74 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list