From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] linux-headers
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:10:57
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Thanks very much for your thorough reply. I'm not sure I completely
3 > followed the last couple paragraphs, but I'm a bit brain dead right
4 > now... will hang onto the email and read through it again -- maybe while
5 > looking through the profile hierarchy at the same time -- some time soon.
6
7 No problem, the last couple of paragraphs were somewhat tangiental to
8 the point if I recall correctly.
9
10 > I did have one more question/observation, however... It was indeed gss
11 > sources that I said I was running. And, in case you didn't know, they're
12 > dead... no more development, not even in portage any more, I don't
13
14 That's correct. The maintainer is not longer with the development team.
15
16 > think. Consequently, I don't see anymore kernel source updates...
17 > haven't in months. So, would this be of any consequence with the profile
18 > and/or headers moving forward? Hmm, and actually, are we now done seeing
19 > revisions of 2.4 headers forever?
20
21 No and, to the best of my knowledge, no respectively. You can use
22 whatever kernel you like. Just don't build "headers-sensitive" packages
23 against headers that are in advance of the kernel you intend to run -
24 see my last post for gratuitous detail ;) That's why you should use the
25 2.4 sub-profile that portage has provided in the 2005.0 case.
26
27 I don't believe that there is any official plan to drop 2.4 at this
28 point. It would be madness if they did, IMHO. So, if bugs are filed
29 concerning packages which don't play well when compiled against 2.4
30 headers then I'm sure that you can expect some 2.4 headers updates in
31 the future still. Conversely, if the headers are known to work with all
32 affected packages in portage then there is no particular requirement to
33 update them.
34
35 Perhaps a developer could clarify Gentoo's policy in terms of how long
36 it intends to support 2.4 (if such a policy exists)?
37
38 HTH,
39
40 --Kerin Francis Millar