From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:26:57
1 Nigel,
2
3 I'm still very new to how backup software works, but Box Backup sounds
4 very similar to rsnapshot. That's a backup program that uses rsync over
5 ssh to make incremental backups of remote filesystems (or pieces
6 thereof). It has the same hourly, daily, weekly, monthly backup points
7 that it sounds like Box Backup has. And, it's in portage.
8
9 Not that I'm trying to talk you out of Box Backup, I'd just rather use
10 something in portage if it's close enough in features. It's only
11 partially a matter of the simplicity of install for me... portage also
12 (generally) keeps up with security holes so that I don't have to
13 remember to check up on my apps outside of portage.
14
15 Now -- as information that clarifies my needs and also as another
16 question of strategy -- I will be backing up a single, remote, rented
17 webserver with whatever package I wind up using. I don't have and can't
18 afford another server to back up to (though a mirror server would be
19 nice some day). So, I'm figuring on pulling my snapshots down to my
20 local gentoo box.
21
22 Even though we have at least a dozen live sites on our server, we're not
23 using much space on it... about 5 gig total. I looked and I have about
24 50 gigs available just in my /home partition. So, I'm thinking that I
25 should just backup the server's whole drive. The question is, is this
26 worth the trouble... if the server's hard drive crashed, would I be able
27 to restore my whole setup from the backup to a new harddrive and have a
28 working system again?
29
30 Hmmm, now that I take another look at the rsnapshot man page, that seems
31 to be one way in which Box Backup is better than rsnapshot... there's no
32 mention of recovery at all. It seems it's intended to just take
33 snapshots of your system and it's up to you to figure out what to do
34 with the snapshot if you need it.
35
36 Well, in any case... my needs are fairly simple... don't really need the
37 encyption or to allow anyone other than myself to make backups.
38
39 Any and all comments appreciated.
40
41 Ben