From: Adam Morley <adam-gentoo-server@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ypbind takes 99,99% cpu
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:40:24
1 On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:13:52AM +0100, Vegard Figenschou wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 January 2004 16:37, Alexander Klosch wrote:
3 > > hi,
4 > >
5 > > I have a production server which hosts /homes for clients, which are
6 > > I authenticated by nis.
7 > > for giving user's their homes the server needs to be nis client also,
8 > > for other purposes [like cupsd] also .. this machine is also
9 > > printserver.
10 > > in top often ypbind takes 99,6% and more of cpu usage .. any idea where
11 > > this comes from and/or how to fix it?
12 >
13 > Try to run:
14 > strace ipbind
15 > (add any parameters behind it)
16 >
17 > This will list all system calls that ipbind makes, it can be quite
18 > informative(so you might want to grep it). Access to files that doesn't exist
19 > or network access troubles are common problems you will be able to spot with
20 > strace.
21
22 FWIW, if you're running grsec with certain safeguards you'll have some issues with strace, or at least I have. I usually keep a non-grsec kernel of the same configuration around for when I need to debug with strace.
23
24 There might be another way to do it (ie grsec acls) but I haven't messed with acls a whole lot. If anybody does it another way, by all means I'd love to hear about it.
27 adam