From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:47:00
1 I actually don't see this as an either-or scenario. Having a separate
2 server portage tree can also assist in QA as below.
3
4 I would hope that most of us that run gentoo on more than a couple
5 servers, do our own testing. I have a build server that compiles
6 packages for installation. Thus I can test the function of apps on that
7 or a dev server.
8
9 The server tree would be very helpful to me if it had production and
10 development packages. The production ebuilds would be the currently
11 released versions, and development ebuilds would be the "in waiting"
12 ebuilds for the next quarterly release. This way we can test the
13 function of the dev ebuilds on our own without sending them to our
14 production servers.
15
16 jbw
17
18 P.S. This means that my vote would be for (2).
19