From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:28:21
1 On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 00:16 +0800, Linux GNUbie wrote:
2 > Speaking of this issue, actually I'm planning to setup a box with a 24
3 > SATA HDDs RAID5 array on a dual Opteron box intended to run Subversion
4 > to handle huge video files before this year end. I'm still afraid of
5 > using Gentoo because I'm not that yet convinced on it's stability
6 > especially when dealing file servers.
7 Well ... that's always hard to predict :-)
8 But that's why you have a clone of that system for update testing and a
9 full backup, right? :-)
10 > I don't want to gamble and take a
11 > risk of my terabytes files but I also know that taking a risk is part of
12 > our life. Honestly, I'm choosing between Gentoo and CentOS 4.1.
13 Uhm ... what would make CentOS more qualified for "heavy lifting" than, say, Ubuntu or RedHat?
14
15 wkr,
16 Patrick
17 Gentoo Evangelist :-)
18 --
19 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move