From: Steve Dommett <steve@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can't mount root device (PERC 5/i)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:40:13
1 Patrik Jansson wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 Good day and welcome to Gentoo!
5 > I may boot the Live CD without problems and from there I can install
6 > the system. The drives (RAID-1) is shown as device /dev/sdb
7 At this point does an 'lsmod' give any further clues? For instance is
8 the LiveCD using the same driver for the RAID you are expecting to use
9 after the reboot?
10 >
11 > (sub question: this cannot be just one of the two drives in the RAID
12 > right? I guess the PERC won't allow direct access to just ONE drive)
13 I'm quite prepared to be entirely wrong. It's been years since I
14 installed to a PERC, and I believe it was a PERC4 when I last tried, but
15 I seem to remember being offered all of the physical disks as separate
16 drives.
17
18 Let's continue assuming I'm incorrect and you should be seeing just a
19 single logical drive.
20 >
21 > sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
22 > sda: asking for cache data failed
23 > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
24 Looks good for a battery backed RAID card. Although you've been
25 referring to /dev/sdb3 in your mail.
26 > SCSI device sda: 285474816 512-byte hdwr sectors (146163 MB)
27 Is that the correct total size of the logical drive, or of one of the
28 physical drives?
29 > sda: unknown partition table
30 Ouch! Something is very wrong here. I don't think you're going much
31 further until this one gets fixed.
32
33 Are you sure you're running the same driver for the card as was used
34 during the install?
35
36 Maybe you could try using genkernel to build the kernel, which will also
37 create an initrd to autoload most needed modules just like the LiveCD.
38
39 Also, I doubt if this is necessary with a hardware RAID controller, but
40 perhaps emerge'ing device-mapper is necessary. Perhaps also mdadm too,
41 but I'm even more doubtful about that one.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Steve.
45 --