From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] eradicating devfs
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:38:41
1 ahh.. looks like Joseph already mentioned.
2 sorry, I didn't see it :(
3 -c
4
5 Joseph Booker wrote:
6
7 >Dadi said:
10 >>Hi again,
11 >>Is there a way I can get rid of devfs? I do not find it usefull at all.
12 >>The
13 >>bigget problem is when I plug my pda in the usb and ttyUSB does not get
14 >>created. Also, the oss device does not get created.
15 >>However, gentoo came with it, so I am stuck with it.
16 >>Can I unmerge it and revert to minor, major access mode?(this is the
17 >>desired way of things for me)
18 >>If so, how can this be done?(I know I tried gentoo nodevfs some time ago
19 >>and things got bad)
23 >Try udev (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml)
24 >
25 >If you still got problems, do one of the following
26 >
27 >1. recompile your kernel to not have devfs or just not mount it at boot,
28 >then add 'gentoo=nodevfs' to your kernel args
29 >
30 >2. If you do not want to recompile your kernel, and its set to mount devfs
31 >at boot, add 'gentoo=nodevfs devfs=nomount' to your kernel args