From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:02:55
1 On 9/3/06, Gentoo <debiansid@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 > Just want to know abou this.
4 > Does anyone use gentoo as production servers, like mail, dns, mysql, web,ntp
5 > ,etc..
6
7 I use Gentoo in a few production environments both with my company and
8 our customers. Gentoo runs on boxes serving these tasks:
9 * (iptables) firewall
10 * (apache) web server
11 * (postfix) mail server
12 * (bind) DNS server
13 * (mysql & postgres) database server(s)
14 * (hylafax) fax server
15 * (samba) file server providing support for windows boxen
16 * (python) application servers running some internal applications
17
18 The short story is that I run it on just about every piece of
19 infrastructure that I support and I love it. I would mention that if
20 you plan to run it in a sufficiently large production environment that
21 you should invest the extra time/money up-front to setup a build
22 server so that you don't have to compile upgrades on each of your
23 production boxes. Other than that, I find Gentoo to be far easier to
24 mantain than any other distro that I have ever used.
25
26 -Mike
31 Michael E. Crute
32 http://mike.crute.org
33
34 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
35 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
36 --
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list