From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:40:31
1 Martin Hajduch wrote:
2
3 >> Do you mean IDEA is approx twice as fast as 3DES in case of SSL?
6 > unless you have some special hardware for these algorithms (which
7 > 'standard' PCs do not have),
8 > then yes IDEA is approx twice as fast then 3DES (in any case,
9 > including SSL)
10
11 I am using apache. I guess OpenSSL library is used.
14 > for some numbers, look here:
15 > http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~bosselae/fast.html
16
17 Thank you. Okay, for now, I think I'll be usin IDEA for my SSL site
18 because it's faster (I am not sure if AES is supported by IE, so I just
19 ignore it). What do I say in user's operation hand book? Since 3DES and
20 IDEA are both strong, I can just quote what Bruce Schneier said about
21 3DES and say IDEA is similar.
22
23 I heard from gentoo-user list that one of Bruce's book has easy
24 explanation of each cipher's strength:
25 http://www.schneier.com/book-applied-toc.html
26
27 However I won't buy a book and have it shipped to China just for one
28 line of quote.