From: "paul kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] ldap or mysql?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:44:56
1 Hi all,
2
3 we are in the process setting up a new server (on gentoo) for the usual
4 web/mail/db stuff with cyrus/postfix/apache/mysql/subversion/... We'd
5 like to store all accounts in a backend that can be shared by more than
6 one host and run in an replicated server/slave setup so that one machine
7 can takeover the service if the other fails.
8
9 I've looked around and it seems there is a general choice of using ldap
10 or mysql for this. I know LDAP and it's shortcomings quite well (hairy
11 bdb setup, no transactions) otherwise it should be fine for the job. The
12 other option is mysql. You can have system accounts through pam and nss
13 modules, there is a backend for SASL, apache can fetch vhosts from mysql
14 as well as cyrus and postfix can for mail (if not directly it should
15 always work with nss/pam). Unfortunately I have no practical experience
16 with mysql for things like that. I heard about persistent connections,
17 caches or connections over sockets but haven't tried anything like that
18 (yet). So I'm really interested in real world experiences...
19
20 Does it work reliably?
21 Does mysql master/slave work reliably?
22 How do you handle failover?
23 How does it performs in comparison to LDAP in terms of bind/fetch/unbind
24 cycle, is that expensive?
25 Anything I couldn't ask since I'm sooooooooooooo clueless ;)
26
27 thanks
28 Paul
29 --