From: stephen white <steve@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] bare beginnings
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:50:50
1 On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 06:12 AM, Steve Arnold wrote:
2 > It certainly looks like a good start, but I'm curious about the
3 > Systems block (I don't quite get it). Could you explain that part a
4 > little?
5
6 The Sysadmins. :)
7
8 I've added some Wiki links to the blocks, so we can click on the
9 diagrams and end up on the relevant pages. I've also added links on
10 some of the text as well.
11
12 > I've still only skimmed the infrastructures.org docs, but your CVS
13 > repo in the diagram is not the full Gold server implementation, is
14 > it? I'm still digesting this stuff, so it's almost time to wiki
15 > this stuff to death (or whatever)...
16
17 No, you're right... the Gold Server concept is one of the areas where
18 my opinion varies from the i.org paper. The Gold Server concept starts
19 off well, but ends up badly.
20
21 The problem with image based distribution is that a machine may be
22 installed 4 or 5 years ago, then upgraded over time. Every upgrade adds
23 cruft to the system, and the end result is you have a master machine
24 but you don't know what's on it or how it was built. This will bite
25 when an upgrade breaks something but you don't know what or how.
26
27 The solution to this is to rebuild machines from scratch, making
28 changes to the build and configuration scripts in CVS. Then it is
29 possible to either build machines directly, or build a Gold Server for
30 further distribution. The important aspect is that you never have a
31 machine which isn't programmatically replicable.
32
33 So for the diagram, I've merged the CVS and Gold Server functionality,
34 but it ends up functionally equivalent anyway so the rest of the paper
35 is still highly relevant.
38 steve@×××××××××××××××.au
39
40 CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
42 This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
43 and contains information that may be confidential and/or
44 copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
45 notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
46 this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
47 by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
48 prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
49 any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
50 recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.