From: Sean Cook <scook@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:40:54
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 kashani wrote:
5 > Sean Cook wrote:
6 > > Redhat In their manual:
7 >
8 >> "With today's fast CPUs, Software RAID performance can excel against
9 >> Hardware RAID."
10 >>
11 >> As I stated before, it depends on where your bottleneck is... if you
12 >> are not cpu bound, software raid is great! and will boost IO through
13 >> put on comparable hardware. If you are already CPU bound, forget
14 >> software raid, it will degrade your system to a crawl...
17 > Badly done tests circa 1998 without any sort of methodology, mention of
18 > cluster sizes, etc is proof than any idiot can make a computer slower.
19 >
20 > I'll argue that a fully supported hard raid card is always superior
21 > to a software raid by it's very nature, having local I/O cache and a
22 > dedicated chip. However there are definitely workloads where a software
23 > raid is good enough that spending money on a hardware raid card is
24 > pointless. I can not imagine a case where all things being equal that
25 > software raid would be measurably faster.
26 >
27 > In the event that removing your RAID card makes your disk 5x faster
28 > I'd also recommend removing the admin who setup the original system as
29 > well. :-)
30 >
31 > kashani
32
33 My post did say "Back in the Day" and it was around 1999 that we did
34 this however, then I was running unstable raid tools and they have come
35 a long way, and I was running 2.2 kernel.
36
37 However, the only people I am aware of that say the performance is
38 better on hardware raid are hardware raid manufacturers and you... You
39 don't work for LSI do you? Most of the linux software folks agree with
40 me or take a mildly more conservative tone.
41
42 eg:
43
44 Redhat Enterprise Linux (circa 2005-2006)
45 http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/pdf/rhel-isa-en.pdf
46
47 Often the excess CPU power available for software RAID parity
48 calculations greatly exceeds the processing power present on a RAID
49 controller card. Therefore, some software RAID implementations
50 actually have the capability for higher performance than hardware RAID
51 implementations.
55 Mysql:
56
57 Hardware Versus Software
58
59 Some operating systems can perform software RAID. Rather than buying a
60 dedicated RAID controller, the operating system's kernel splits the I/O
61 among multiple disks. Many users shy away from using these features
62 because they've long been considered slow or buggy.
63
64 In reality, software RAID is quite stable and performs rather well. The
65 performance differences between hardware and software RAID tend not to
66 be significant until they're under quite a bit of load. For smaller and
67 medium-sized workloads, there's little discernible difference between
68 them. Yes, the server's CPU must do a bit more work when using software
69 RAID, but modern CPUs are so fast that the RAID operations consume a
70 small fraction of the available CPU time. And, as we stressed earlier,
71 the CPU is usually not the bottleneck in a database server anyway.
82 --
83 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list