From: Bastiaan Visser <Bastiaan@××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] can't boot anymore!
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:16:58
1 Andreas Tasch wrote:
2 > Davide Cittaro schrieb:
3 >>
4 >> On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> What did you do?
7 >>
8 >> If I only knew :-(
9 >> The fact is that I've never rebooted in a year but, in the meanwhile,
10 >> I've kept system up-to-date by regular emerge syncing and system
11 >> upgrade... evidently I've emerged (or unmerged) something wrong...
12 >>
13 >> d
16 >> /*
17 >> Davide Cittaro
18 >>
19 >> Cogentech - Consortium for Genomic Technologies
20 >> via adamello, 16
21 >> 20139 Milano
22 >> Italy
23 >>
24 >> tel.: +39(02)574303007
25 >> e-mail: davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it
26 >> <mailto:davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it>
27 >> */
28 >
29 > Hi Davide,
30 >
31 > sounds like the problem I had some time ago. I did an gcc upgrade but
32 > did not do an emerge -e system after that. Something was broken after
33 > that and the system did not boot anymore after I had to reboot some
34 > months later (it was a remote machine :(). What solved my problem:
35 > boot with a live cd or rescue image via pxe and chroot in your system.
36 > Do an source /etc/profile and env-update (afairc). Then re-emerge gcc
37 > glibc binutils and baselayout and reboot. Do a backup before trying
38 > this - you never know :)
39 >
40 > Good Luck,
41 > Andy
42 >
43 A revdep-rebuild might be enough then, saves you a day or two compiling.
44 --
45 gentoo-server@l.g.o mailing list