From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo on Pentium IV with Hyper-Threading
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:42:23
1 Nick Van Vlaenderen wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I am going to install Gentoo Linux on a server with a Pentium IV CPU
6 > with Hyper-Threading. My question is, does anyone has experience with
7 > that kind of servers? I know that I need to enable SMP in the kernel,
8 > but do I need to use something specific to make Gentoo use the 2 virtual
9 > CPU's and not only one? And how can I have better performance .. and so on?
10
11 Just change MAKEOPTS="j4" or something like that. Other than that, afaik, the
12 application just needs to have smp support in order to use both processors.
13 There might be something else you'll need to enable to do more things, but I
14 think that's basically it. Just enable SMP and change that setting in your
15 make.conf for emerging.
16
17 I have several HT enabled P4's here and they all work great!
20 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
21 Gentoo Infrastructure
22
23 ---
24 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
25 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
26
27 ramereth/irc.freenode.net