From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:01:44
1 On Wednesday 01 February 2006 23:41, kashani wrote:
2 > I'd be willing to use the spare Dell 2850 with five drives and a raid
3 > card to do some testing this weekend, but someone will need to offer me
4 > a free sushi dinner or two if I'm right. Any takers?
5
6 I'm dubious about software RAID being faster, but then when I think about it,
7 the only reason I've ever though hardware was far better was becasuse I was
8 told it was, and it just seems logical. However, I'm open minded - perhaps
9 linux is better at handling disk caching, perhaps parity data can be done
10 faster then a dedicated chip, who knows....
11
12 I would like to see an end to the 'my software RAID could have your hardware
13 RAID' and 'my hardware RAID could eat software RAID for breakfast' argument -
14 and I fear the only way to do this is with figures, not stories.
15
16 Kashani - if you do get round to trying this, I would be interested in your
17 results. I will probably run the tests myself as well at some point with
18 various RAID controllers too to see which preforms best. Either way... can
19 we stop the arguments on the list untill someone has some figures to argue
20 over? :)
21
22 Kind Regards,
25 Ian P. Christian