From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] deployment server over NFS, feedback
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:54:00
1 On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 01:30, Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2 > We have a range of hardware from Pentium3 to Pentium4, some 2x CPU, most
3 > one CPU though. All common packages such as apache2, mysql, php/mod_php,
4 > and the like would be built there first and then distributed to the
5 > servers as needed (they would emerge the tbz2s from thier nfs-mount
6 > /usr/portage/packages/All directory). Since we are using -mcpu pentium3
7 > in the make.conf, our binaries should be portable across p3 and p4
8 > platforms, correct?
9
10 Correct, but you would be better off using -march=pentium3, which
11 implies -mcpu=pentium3. If you tend to have mostly Pentium 4s, then you
12 can use -march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium4, which causes it to only generate
13 instructions for pentium3, but optimize for pentium4. The Pentium IIIs
14 might take a slight performance hit in this case.
15
16 The other flags you can add which will align the code according to
17 instruction cache and decoding boundaries are: -falign-jumps=8
18 -falign=loops=8 -falign-functions=64. This will tend to make the output
19 a bit larger. An alternative to this that will do basically the same
20 thing but sometimes align at half-boundaries is: -falign-jumps=5
21 -falign-loops=5 -falign-functions=33. The alignments are actually done
22 to the next higher power of 2 (i.e. the same numbers previously), but
23 only when the number of bytes skipped is less than specified number; see
24 info gcc for more details.
25 --
26 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
27 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA