From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server Packages for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:43:23
1 Unless my understanding is wrong...
2
3 The idea of 'enterprise-level' packages with respect to Linux is more or less stable packages over a long time period.
4 However, this requires a lot longer period than is typical to Gentoo to my understanding as Gentoo typically moves packages through to being updated more frequently.
5
6 But to find what you are looking for (again if my understanding is correct) one would normally setup their own portage mirror, and maintain their own derivative profiles - marking items as masked until they have passed their own internal testing - e.g. the 'gentoo->staging->production' recommended cycle.
7
8 I am also thinking the closest profile to what you are looking for is probably the 'hardened' profile, which does lead me to a related question (for everyone) that I have been thinking about asking:
9
10 the 'server' profile has notes about only being for certain users; and recommends the 'hardened' profile for servers. Does the 'hardened' profile require use of SELinux or similar auditing/permission tools (e.g. AppArmor)? I'm currently using 'server' on my own server at home; but have not gotten to the point of being ready to try SELinux, etc - namely b/c I still have a lot software to install and configure, etc - so I haven't tried to move to the 'hardened' profile. So I'm wondering what all the differences are between 'hardened' and 'server' - I primarily figured it was more for the SELinux/AppArmor users. Please advise.
11
12 Again, I could be wrong - so anyone please chime in to correct me.
13
14 HTH,
15
16 Ben
20 ----- Original Message ----
21 From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
22 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
23 Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:28:35 AM
24 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server Packages for Gentoo
25
26 Spahn, Daniel wrote:
27 > Is there a list of enterprise-level server packages for Gentoo somewhere?
28
29 As opposed to the h@x0r l33t software list :-)
30
31 I wouldn't know how to qualify software into enterprise-level server
32 packages and non enterprise-level server packages.
35 If you're looking for a specific package, try packages.gentoo.org
36
37 Ramon