From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:47:19
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
2
3 > i) NON Postfix Store : Separate Domains, NON-Unix Accounts
4 > and
5 > ii) Postfix store : Separate Domains, UNIX Accounts
6 >
7 > Can all of these be done using NON-Postfix Store
8 > (cyrus/courier/dovecot) : Separate Domains with Unix and Non Unix
9 > Accounts? Depending on whether there is need for note (a) and (b)
10 >
11 > or should I just put the local users on a separate box?
12 >
13 > What are you using? I've seen quite a lot of Howto and docs but seems like
14 > my choice isn't one of those widely used scenerios. In addition to that,
15 > it also doesn't seem cyrus-imapd is much used too.
16
17 Last time I looked, SASL was a real pain to work with, maybe that's why
18 people go to courier instead of cyrus? ;-)
19
20 As far as user accounts go: we are using qmail so mail accounts live in
21 vpopmail. Now vpopmail stores accounts data in MySQL so users dont need
22 local accounts. We have a shell server that people can use if they want to
23 - on there Pine is configured to connect via IMAP anyway.
24
25 As far as webhosting goes, we are using libnss-mysql to provide virtual
26 accounts (again, out of MySQL) so users dont need local accounts. Making
27 the default shell on our web server, rssh, means we let them have ftp /
28 scp / sftp access to their sites (noone has shell access). The great thing
29 about libnss-mysql is that it just works transparently with proftpd, and
30 even system quotas work!
31
32 All of these things avoid the need for local user accounts on our mail and
33 web servers and its easy to backup MySQL.
38 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list