From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Advice for LDAP migration
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:20:21
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've been attempting to get to grips with LDAP with a view to migrating
4 away from NIS, and using it to support the various services I run
5 (notably Samba).
6
7 Now my network is not of a particularly large scale, nonetheless I want
8 to structure the directory according to some notion of order (and in
9 such a fashion as it would work well for a larger organisation too).
10
11 I've come up with a skeletal structure as follows:
12
13 dc=recruit2recruit,dc=net
14 o=R2R
15 ou = Clients
16 (Address book entries for client contacts
17 go here)
18 ou = IT
19 (Unix/Samba accounts go here)
20 ou = Sales
21 (Unix/Samba accounts go here)
22
23 ou = serve (name of the main server)
24 ou = Machines
25 (Samba3 machine accounts go here)
26 ou = Groups
27 ou = Hosts
28 ou = Aliases
29 ...
30
31 o=Some_other_company (or branch office?)
32 ...
33
34 So I'm using the 'o' entry to designate the company, with all
35 "top-level" organisation units for the company underneath of that.
36 Clients will contain simple address book entries (inetOrgPerson) for use
37 by email clients. Separate OUs exist for the departments which will
38 contain the actual user accounts (and will also have inetOrgPerson
39 attributes for use with email and anthing else that is necessary such as
40 qmail schema attributes).
41
42 The OU 'serve' refers to the hostname of my server, and I was thinking
43 of putting the Samba-3 machine accounts under the 'Machines' OU there,
44 and throwing all the other Unix related stuff in there (as ported by
45 PADL's migrationtools scripts ... POSIX groups, mail aliases and so
46 forth). I suppose it doesn't really need to be named after the server at
47 all, but that's a matter of cosmetics.
48
49 So, does this seem sensible? Perhaps I should make OUs for both
50 'Machines' and 'Accounts' under the OU for each department so that the
51 machines are associated with the department also? Maybe also, the
52 departmental information and address book related OUs should have parent
53 OUs to keep a potentially larger directory clean? Also, I want to ensure
54 that various entries can be found even if they are split accross OUs,
55 but I don't imagine that's a problem (presumably just refining the query
56 used by the various services in their capacity as an LDAP client if
57 necessary).
58
59 Any insights or additional advice will be gratefully received as I would
60 like to get this just so before fully populating the directory and
61 attempting to configure nss_ldap and such :)
62
63 Regards,
64
65 Kerin Francis Millar (kerframil)