From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stabilization of new-style Apache
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:02:35
1 Well, well... yet another false alarm...
2
3 Indeed, a new ebuild of Apache was unmasked today. However, it is not -- yet again -- this
4 major re-working of the apache layout that we've been hearing about for over nine months now.
5
6 Sigh.
7
8 b
11 Michael Stewart (vericgar) wrote:
12 > The Gentoo Apache Team is pleased to announce the stabilizing of package
13 > updates that have been in the works for over a year. Some of the major
14 > changes include:
15 >
16 > - New configuration and configuration locations to more closely match
17 > upstream and reduce confusion for users coming from other
18 > distributions.
19 > - Modules now use a centralized eclass that builds, installs, and
20 > displays standard information on enabling the module. This allows
21 > easier maintenance of existing modules, and allows us to more rapidly
22 > develop ebuilds for modules that are not yet in the tree.
23 > - Expanded USE flags to let you choose which MPM is compiled.
24 > - A new gentoo-webroot that will eventually provide a gentoo-themed
25 > icon-set, error documents, and default website. This has been put in
26 > it's own package, and includes a USE-flag to not install the
27 > gentoo-webroot into /var/www/localhost - useful if you put your own
28 > website there.
29 > - And much more, including the fixing of many many bugs.
30 >
31 > These changes will stabilized on Sunday, September 18th. These changes
32 > have been throughly tested and given a thumbs up by many many users.
33 > They also allow you to use the new php (including support for php5)
34 > ebuilds when they become fully available.
35 >
36 > Because of these changes and improvements, when you upgrade to the new
37 > revision of Apache, you will need to take care of some things. These are
38 > fully documented in our Upgrading Apache document [1], but in
39 > summary, this is what you will need to do:
40 >
41 > - Merge any customizations that you have made to the Apache
42 > configuration into the new configuration at /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
43 > (The configuration file location has changed). Note that the init
44 > script for apache checks for a configuration in the old location and
45 > refuses to start if you haven't moved/removed it - this is to avoid
46 > the possibility of moving to a configuration that isn't right for
47 > your machine.
48 > - Update any modules that you used to revisions that support the new
49 > eclass. Older modules will not work due to location changes.
50 > - Restart Apache
51 >
52 > We have done our best to make it easy to migrate, but if you have
53 > problems, feel free to visit us in #gentoo-apache on irc.freenode.net or
54 > on our mailing list gentoo-web-user@g.o and we'll be glad to
55 > help.
56 >
57 > Thanks,