From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Portage Webinterface
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:05:23
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 12:42 +0100, Alexander Sulfrian wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > reading the "Porthole plug-ins & extensions" proposal I got another
5 > idea:
6 >
7 > Maybe you know web based software management solutions from various
8 > enterprise Linux distributions (I remember, that at least RedHat
9 > have such thing):
10 >
11 > Based on an python api for portage
12
13 Yes, in fact I was the one that started the public_api branch of portage
14 which is precisely for this use. It still needs more work to add emerge
15 operations, some examples of this can be found in a previous gsoc
16 project that resulted in a packagekit portage backend.
17
18 > and some way to issue the api calls
19 > over network (ssh, xmlrpc, maybe google-protobuf or other),
20
21 Python now has the ability (built-in) to to do remote python imports.
22 It handles pickling the data transfers in both directions...
23
24 > it would be
25 > possible to create a web based interface, where you can add clients and
26 > install/update packages, view logs, changes portage settings or merge
27 > configuration files.
28
29 I develop porthole, which is a portage frontend. It already does nearly
30 all this already and has imo a very good interface for displaying data,
31 modifying settings, etc. for packages. Creating a web interface would
32 be in fact more work, but certainly possible. I also believe it would
33 take away too much time from the development of the control interface
34 and cli development. The more time spent on the primary control
35 interface and remote tools needed to perform the tasks, the better.
36
37 A new web interface could be a future project.
38
39 Have you tried using porthole? or any of the gui frontends available?
40
41 Several years ago one of the devs doing some work on porthole created a
42 preliminary patch [1] which allowed porthole to connect to remote
43 machines. there were many things about that needed a lot more work to
44 implement properly, securely. But we never did get back to it. But
45 since python now has the built-in ability to do remote imports using
46 ssh. That greatly reduces the barrier to actually implement it.
49 > With that it would be easier to manage a large
50 > Gentoo-based server farm.
51
52 The reason I posted the idea.
53
54 > Additionally it would be possibly to create a
55 > simple cli to control all registered clients.
58 Most of the gentoo coding I have been doing this past few years has been
59 to make api's for common gentoo tools like gentoolkit's eclean and
60 equery. I have also now created an new api for layman. I am big on
61 creating a design that allows many ways of using the operational code
62 that actually performs the task. Be it cli, gui, etc.
63
64 Note that a cli is listed as one of the tasks.
67 > What do you think?
68 >
69 > Thanks,
70 > Alex