From: Zengjun Zhang <buptzzj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Application for Kuroo
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:04:56
1 Hello, everybody:
2 I am apply "Adapt Kuroo for current portage versions". I have contacted Andrew
3 Schenck <galiven@×××××××××××××××××.net> before. Thanks for him
4 to encourage me to participate in Kuroo. I am happy to discuss questions
5 with everyone. Following is my application proposal:
6
7 --------------------------------------------
8 GSoC Application Proposal
9
10 *Objective*
11 Kuroo is a KDE GUI frontend for software management in Gentoo. From the
12 screenshot and experience of Kuroo uers, it is very convient to use. But the
13 latest version is 0.81.0_rc1, updated in 2007. And the offical offsite
14 http://kuroo.org is no longer accessble. The objective of this project is to
15 revise the source code to satisfy the current portage tree structure.
16
17 *Abstract*
18 Gentoo is Linux distribution. It almost automatically makes software
19 optimized and customized. It could be served as secure server, development
20 workstation, desktop, embedded system. And it benifits from Gentoo's package
21 system called Portage. Portage is managed by a Python script emerge, which
22 can be used by users to install or uninstall software. Kuroo is a GUI
23 frontend for managing software written in C++ based on QT and KDE. It
24 provides additional features like filter mechanism such as category and
25 subcategory, accessing to specific version and USE flag.
26
27 *Deliverables*
28 Revised source code (including the modification annotation)
29 Document (including main modification ideas and it's implementation)
30 Version Support (tracking the new version of gentoo)
31
32 *Timeline*
33 4.20 - 4.30: Get to know mentors and fully understand the orignal specific
34 design ideas.
35 5.1 - 5.10: Dive into the details of Kuroo source code, try to figure out
36 the relative part
37 5.11 - 5.23: Give the specific modification document
38 5.24 - 6.14: Do the coding
39 6.15 - 7.15: Test the modification in several circumstance and revise the
40 errors
41 7.16 - 7.30: Write document
42
43 *Biography*
44 I am graduate student from Beijing University of Posts and
45 Telecommunications (BUPT). Before I came to BUPT, I worked for 2 yeas in a
46 computer company in the area of Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), which is
47 developed in C++. I also developed plugins in Python. As for Kuroo, I
48 install Gentoo on my notebook and use portage everyday, which motivate me to
49 develop a tool to manage my system by myself.
50
52 ANYONE can contact me:
53 email: buptzzj@×××××.com
54 hotmail: clarityzhang@×××××××.com