From: wuyy <xgreenlandforwyy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Week 11 Report for Refining ROCm Packages in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:53:13
1 Hello all,
2
3 My progress this week is mainly writing wiki and refining rocm.eclass.
4
5 Although the current eclass can work with my new ebuilds [1], Michał
6 Górny has pointed out various flaws on the Github PR [2]. He also
7 pointed out the necessity about rocm.eclass, because it seems like a
8 combination of two eclasses. In my opinion, rocm.eclass has its value,
9 mainly for handling USE_EXPANDS and common phase functions. The ugly
10 part is mainly in rocm_src_test: due to the inconsistency of test
11 methods of packages in [3], I have to detect which method is using and
12 do it accordingly. So my plan is to split the one-size-fits-all
13 rocm_src_test into two functions, corresponding to two scenarios (cmake
14 test or standalone binary), and let each ebuild decide which to use.
15 This can avoid detailed detection code that make rocm_src_test bloated.
16
17 Wiki writing: I think the main part of ROCm wiki[1] and HIP[2] is nearly
18 finished. But due to the delay of rocm.eclass, the related information
19 is not appended (ROCm#Developing guide). There is also a section a
20 reserved: ROCm#Installation guide. I have little clue on how to write
21 this part, because ROCm is a wide collection of packages. Maybe a meta
22 package (there are users working on this) would be helpful.
23
24 To be honest I'm a bit anxious, because there is only one week left, but
25 there are still a lot to be determined and tested on rocm.eclass along
26 with the sci-libs/roc* ebuilds. I hope I can resolve these core issues
27 in the last week.
28
29 [1] https://github.com/littlewu2508/gentoo/tree/rocm-5.1.3-scilibs
30 [2] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26784