From: Oliver Schinagl <oliver@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Upstart Proposal
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:55:16
1 Hello all,
2
3 According to http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/applying.xml one
4 should write a proposal and such as here it is!
5
6 I'm not quite sure on the structure of this proposal, it is said in the
7 link above that certain points needed to be brought up in such proposal.
8 So here goes...
9
10 I was browsing through various available projects on the Gentoo SoC
11 project page and upstart jumped right out to me. For a while I've been
12 saddened to see quick startup times on new distro's such like Ubuntu
13 where my Desktop, which was much faster, took it's merry time. It was
14 mostly noticeable on my media box. I tried init-ng ages ago and was
15 quite impressed. However init-ng had two downsides. 1) init-ng didn't
16 quite work with the current init scripts, but more importantly 2)
17 init-ng was not very well supported. Not by gentoo or any distro really
18 and it lacked developers.
19
20 Upstart has a solid developer base, and is used by atleast one major
21 distro, Ubuntu. Having support in upstart for Gentoo, albeit via a
22 patch, would mean Gentoo would benefit from all upstart advances whilst
23 still keeping the usual init.d scripts.
24
25 This project would consists of a patch to upstart/libnih to support
26 booting a gentoo box using the gentoo init.d scripts.
27
28 Figuring out a projects timeline, with little information sounds easier
29 then done. Using googles timeline for GSoC it would look something like
30 the following.
31
32 April 27th:
33 Start of digging into upstart documentation. Figure out how upstart
34 works and if needed write some documentation.
35 +2 weeks:
36 The second half of the documentation reading phase should consist on
37 figuring out what needs to be done, and more importantly what would be
38 missing in the current init.d scripts.
39 May 24th:
40 Get a development enviroment working which would be a basic stage3
41 gentoo install and tie in upstart. See where things go wrong. Upstart
42 wouldn't need to start anything yet, just get it working and doing
43 something. Examine written documentation and see if it is accurate at
44 all. Adjust where needed.
45 +3 weeks:
46 Start to get the most basic of gentoo init.d scripts to work with upstart.
47 +3 weeks:
48 Gentoo should now boot using upstart and do the most basic tasks. There
49 will most very likely no dependency checking etc. Just get services running.
50 July 12th:
51 First deliverable, Working upstart for most basic services.
52 +3 weeks:
53 Dependencies and other issues should be addressed and documented. Think
54 of ways how to solve issues that have arisen.
55 +3 weeks:
56 Dependencies and everything else should be working. Upstart should now
57 be pretty much working with nearly all options.
58 August 9th:
59 Second deliverable, Working upstart for all services. Inc. documentation
60 of changes.
61 August 15th:
62 Final deliverable, Working upstart, containing all fixes and suggested
63 final changes. Code should be beautiful now and eligible for upstream
64 inclusion.
65
66 Required with the proposal is some information about me. I already
67 mentioned a few things in my Hello post, but I'll go slightly deeper here.
68
69 My name is Oliver Schinagl and I am studying at the Technical University
70 of Eindhoven to gain my Masters degree in Computer Science and
71 Engineering. I have been a computer fanatic since the early days and I
72 started on a C64. I was probably to young back then and even more
73 probably not interested enough but did play around with some basic
74 stuff. Poke and pike where fun but for a 10 year old far to complex to
75 grasp.
76 After our C64 we got our first (hand me down) XT, as my mother needed it
77 for her hobby. No, not a computer geek, but she needed to write
78 documents for the local radio station and enter data into some dbm. This
79 is where I first got to mess with DOS, play with the 'menu' application
80 to set it up and get to work in Word Perfect 5.1. The XT was luckily
81 quickly replaced by a hand me down 286. I don't remember much of it,
82 just that it had a 40mb harddisk that I broke :) Doublespace and fdisk,
83 what? heh :) This is when I first bought my first Creative 16bit card,
84 my own first piece of hardware!
85
86 Linux did exist back then, but I had never heard of it, a shame really.
87 It took me until I bought my first own PC, that I heard about this linux
88 thing that runs on servers and is the best solution to NAT.
89 When we got our first cable connection, I took our old penitum and after
90 a few months of buggy crashy win95 with wingate I installed this really
91 awesome thing I heard about called slackware. I had tried Redhat 4.2 for
92 a bit a few months before but without a net connection and just a cli I
93 felt a little lost. Doing my research on how this linux and slackware
94 thing worked I had quickly setup my first server to do iprouting and
95 found myself as months passed I spent more and more time tinkering and
96 using my linux server more then my Desktop, which had become nothing
97 more then a music player.
98
99 A few years had passed and it was not until 2004 that I ran into Gentoo
100 Linux. I belive 2004.1 was just released and was eager to burn the iso.
101 It had everything I could ever dream of, packages built to MY
102 specifications, I decided which feature I wanted using uselfags, and I
103 could keep updating packages without having to re-install a new version
104 all the time. I fell in love.
105
106 As the years passed I kept upgradeing my hardware but kept the same
107 gentoo install. I still have my first 32bit install I think! Al my
108 machines now run gentoo, except my laptop. That one runs Ubuntu. My
109 laptop is used for work, school and other things and the pain involved
110 sometimes with gentoo can be to inconvenient and time consuming. My
111 other machines will remain to be Gentoo!
112
113 So when asked what do I do in my spare time? Well ... work on my systems
114 of course! Although I have to admit, for the past year I have been very
115 happily in a relation and this put my time with my systems on a lower level.
116
117 To fund my education I have a job, which sometimes lets me do fun stuff
118 with computers. Unfortunately at the moment it is only web programming,
119 but even that I enjoy, for now. I have had a past internship for Philips
120 TASS, now just TASS, where I co-developed a graphical equalizer. The
121 interesting part of this project was however that it was written in
122 handel-C, a derivative of C, suitable with FPGA's. I fondly still think
123 back of my internship there.
124 Other then gentoo, I recently started to look at GeeXbox and more
125 specifically the Enna mediacenter. I am actually working on a little
126 patch to give enna support for the wiimote controller!
127 Programming I enjoy. And if it is up to me, I write in C following K&C
128 closely.
129 Maybe out of the blue, my first opensource code contribution was
130 probably a silly attempt into writing a tvout tool for my 3dfx VooDoo3.
131 Googling for 3dfx tvout still finds it :)
132
133 To keep this message from growing much longer, I better stop myself and
134 just say, I would love to work on this assignment and if any questions
135 arise, I'd be more then happy to answer!
136
137 Thanks for reading,
138 Oliver