From: Robert <seatonr@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Project Glentoo: Week #3 Status Report
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:52:46
1 Hi, all!
2
3 Project Glentoo is a Google Summer of Code project with the goal of
4 producing a Gentoo based liveCD with a Plan 9 inspired userspace.
5
6 Earlier in the week, I was dealing with an issue where I was able to
7 boot the generated liveCD, but unable to login. I decided to solve
8 this issue by updating the Glentoo Catalyst spec files against the
9 official spec files used to generate the Gentoo liveCD images.
10 However, after updating the spec files to more closely resemble the
11 official spec files, I ran into an issue where the livecd-stage2 image
12 would fail to build. I spent a couple days trying to debug this issue,
13 but eventually ended up asking the releng team for help. It turns out
14 that they were dealing with the same issue.
15
16 With the help of #gentoo-releng, we managed to track down what was
17 causing the build failures and a bug report (#371280) has been opened.
18 With the knowledge of why the build is failing, I should be able to
19 hack together a work-around while I wait for an official fix to make
20 its way into the portage tree, which will allow me to continue making
21 progress on Glentoo during the upcoming week. Although not much
22 progress was made this past week, Project Glentoo is still on schedule
23 and I'm confident that X11 integration will proceed smoothly now that
24 we have managed to iron out what was causing the livecd-stage2 build
25 failure.
26
27 My goal for this upcoming week, then, is the same that it was last
28 week -- namely, to produce a liveCD that drops the user into a Plan 9
29 GUI environment when booted. I imagine that getting this all together
30 will take most of this upcoming week. Then, the week after, I plan on
31 putting together welcome messages and other such small tweaks and to
32 begin the documentation and a project page for Glentoo. After that is
33 complete, I will have something resembling a version 0.1 of Glentoo. I
34 hope to have that version completed by midterm. As of right now, I'm
35 confident that I'm on track to meet that deadline.
36
37 Cheers,
38 rps